BMC Remedy to ServiceNow Migration
BMC was a dominant name in the ITSM for enterprises until about a decade ago. As an early player in this crucial field, BMC offered software and services that became the gold standard in ITSM. For long BMC was able to serve the needs of enterprise IT teams and has a large footprint in enterprises. But like any digital service, over the past decade, ITSM has matured dramatically, evolving into a highly competitive marketplace with numerous options, many boasting exceptional expertise and a high degree of customization.
Currently in the market, ServiceNow is one of the most popular ITSM tools and many enterprises are planning to switch to it. A lot of companies are already migrating from BMC Remedy to ServiceNow to take advantage of its more agile platform, powerful workflow automation capabilities, and modern approach to service management. But the transition from BMC Remedy to ServiceNow needs to be a well-thought-out process.
If you’re one of those enterprises looking to migrate from Remedy to ServiceNow, you may probably be daunted by the number of things to keep in mind. Migration Service is quite complex, it can run into many months, and if not done right, can cost you and your IT team dearly. No company would ever migrate their ITSM just for fun, as it is a lot of work and a potentially huge disruption to your business operations. But it is also a huge investment: in error reduction, in uptime, in chain management. In today’s complex digital environment, any company can operate as smoothly and efficiently as your technology allows it to. Hence, the modern ITSM is more than just a nice update, it is a competitive necessity.
There are various factors that change the shape of the ideal ITSM environment and the path that is required to reach there: some companies are operations-focused, while others are asset focused; some are intensely hands-on with tech, others just want everything to work, no questions asked.
Why you need to migrate from BMC Remedy to ServiceNow
Percentage of companies do not want to migrate to a new ITSM tool or even upgrade to the latest version of their existing tool. And the most common reasons given for avoiding is the complex migration processes involved, business disruption caused due to a negative impact on daily operations and costs involved in purchasing a new system and customizing it and so on. After that comes the biggest hurdle – employee buy-in and training. If the new ITSM is too complex to use and the workflows have not been designed for the new system, the transition can end up a disaster.
On the upside, smooth migration to ServiceNow helps organizations reduce their operating costs, eliminate complex and redundant processes and even the employees can manage their tasks more efficiently. Some tools can help companies migrate from BMC Remedy or any other ITSM system to ServiceNow while making sure that there is no impact on the daily operations, and retain historical data without loss of data.
How to migrate from BMC Remedy to ServiceNow
There are certain misconceptions about ServiceNow in the market that needs to be cleared out. ServiceNow is a powerful ITSM tool and is capable of much more, but most noteworthy, it does not work out-of-the-box. The existing workflows in a company will probably not work the way it is expected in ServiceNow. The reason behind this is because ServiceNow is a new system designed for the cloud. And most companies have workflows designed for legacy systems that run on-premises.
Once you have factored in all these challenges, the migration service can be divided broadly into these four steps:
- Document all the important components of your current ITSM tool or organization.
- Cover up all the dependencies with the help of team members and arrange a meeting with the coordinator of each component that you want to migrate.
- Get the credentials of both tools.
- Check both tools with their components. If you are migrating users from BMC Remedy to ServiceNow then ServiceNow must have all the fields ready to capture all the users’ details or information.
- Set up the path of the source to the destination. ServiceNow has a default feature that will take care of mapping for source and destination.
- Get the source from the very first step which has already been set up in the prepare documents step. Transform map is also a very useful feature of ServiceNow that can help you a lot in the migration process.
- Operate and Transform
- Operate the functionality which has been implemented earlier for the migration process. The flow of execution will be handled by operating and transforming the process.
- Set up the scheduler to manage the data migration to ServiceNow whenever you want.