Overview for On-premises to Cloud Migration strategies
For the process of migration from On-premises to cloud there are two offline and online strategies.
During an offline migration, the enterprise will select the use of physical storage media which includes a portable disk drive, for moving workloads and data to the cloud. More planning and effort are required for this method as admin will need to copy data from the local system to a portable system and then manually deliver it to the cloud provider. Then, the provider uploads the data to the cloud using a local network connection or can also connect the storage media to cloud servers directly.
While selecting online cloud migration, the admin would need to use a cloud provider’s direct connection server or the public internet for transferring data and application. Online migrations seem simple because copying the data becomes simpler from local infrastructure to the cloud. They are less expensive in comparison with offline migrations because only network bandwidth and data fees are accumulated with the enterprise.
Why prefer On-premise to Cloud migration?
Before explaining best practices, let us get familiar with the main reasons to choose cloud the migration process.
Moving estate on-premise data to the cloud is very cost-effective. Cost not only includes the direct cost of dominating or licensing the data center equipment but will also encompass the third-party service cost, maintenance and management, and training and policy. Let us see the clear picture of the cost-effectiveness of using cloud architecture.
Maintaining on-premise computing infrastructure will require space, construction, air-conditioning, electricity, networking, physical security, hardware systems, and many more. Also, deep expertise and experience are needed in managing an on-premises environment.
All those owing on-premise data infrastructures are concerned about the security. The fact is that it is difficult to make the data secure within your edges. While, the customer can get ensured security trust from a cloud service provider such as AWS, google cloud platform, and Snowflake. Also, cloud security ensures to meet the highest security standards in the industry for health, finance, and government associations. Cloud platforms already possess authentication, authorization, logging, and auditing features.
Challenges faced during Cloud migration
Of course, the Cloud migration process has many issues and challenges.
- Regulating costs
- Selecting the proper architecture
- Mounting learning curves
If a cloud migration is performed inexpertly, the Cloud pricing model is likely to slit the profit and cut the costs. Make sure to calculate the rendering cost before committing the services, and maintain run rates, and be precise in choosing what to move into the cloud. Prefer moving low-services into the cloud in the initial stage, as they will support the biggest savings while comparing with the on-premises hosting platform.
Reasons for Increase in On-premise to Cloud Migration
Cloud is mature, tried, tested and, trusted product. Cloud is highly available in the market. Big companies rather choose to use cloud computing and data center technologies. Money matters in a various manner.
- Forecasting becomes easier and implementation costs become minimal using ROI.
- Storage is lenient and cost-effective.
- It is extensible without an increase in budget and parallelly enabling online and geographic expansion.
- Reduces infrastructure costs.
- Organizations can achieve more output in lesser time, cost and, loss.
- It provides employees remote access and to work over the internet.
- Ensured data security is offered.
Strategies Cloud Migration Process uses
Various companies adopt different techniques for the cloud migration process. The various strategies are profiled as:
- Lift and shift: This strategy stands for just copying the data to the cloud as it is.
- Lift and refit: Move the application to the cloud and then twist them for their proper working with the cloud environment.
- Cloud-native: This refers to developing new applications especially for Cloud. The main intention behind developing is cloud service providers will offer various services making application development faster. Moreover, these applications are designed well to integrate with computer architecture and deal with the advantage of frameworks and services developed by the cloud service provider.
Benefits by Migrating to Cloud architecture
Moving to the cloud from onsite is the best move to consider for the growth and security of data in business. Almost companies are hiking from onsite to cloud. Reasons to move from on-premise to cloud includes:
- Decision making based on data- Data will be displayed in an analytical format as cloud-based applications shifts through bits of data.
- More resilience- Necessary changes of bandwidth or storage become easy an focus on other business aspects increases as cloud offers more flexibility in application structure.
- Enhanced productivity- there seems an increase in productivity because cloud architecture offers an automatic and frequent update of applications in the background.
- Upgraded security- application provider will be handling back end security issues through encryption and more security around physical server locations proving cloud storage is more secured than on-premise storage.